Friday, January 23, 2009

Eggplant Steaks

Since I had the day off yesterday, I spent some time (not alot) watching TV and came across the Food Network. Rachael Ray was cooking it up, making an interesting vegetarian meal that looked quite appetizing. I'm certainly no vegan, but lately I've been trying to eat healthier, and I can never seem to get in my full serving of vegetables for the day. I have come to the conclusion that it's just not humanly possible! For those of you who say you're able to do that, I hate you. Okay, hate it a strong word, maybe I should rephrase that: I am disgusted by you, always and forever. lol ;) Anyhoos, this is what I cooked up yesterday-

(I just deleted this picture, oopsies! I can't get it back until I get home later tonight, my bad)

These are just a few of the ingredients I used. It calls for eggplant (obviously), frozen spinach (thawed and drained), tomatoes (3), minced garlic, parsley, plain bread crumbs, humus (any style you prefer, I used the classic), e.v.o.o., and some salt and pepper. Since I've already started, I guess I'll just keep on going with the recipe. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the eggplant vertically into small steaks (anywhere to 1/2-1 inch thick), coat both sides with e.v.o.o. and place steaks on a griddle at medium heat. Salt and pepper just one side of the eggplant and flip after about 5 minutes or so (the steak will have browned a bit and become tender on the bottom side). While steaks are on the griddle, mix together chopped tomatoes, the defrosted bag of spinach, and a couple of cloves of garlic (minced) in a skillet on medium heat. After the second side is done, place steaks on a baking sheet. Top with the warmed spinach mixture, then place a large dollop on each steak and spread. Mix about 3 cups of bread crumbs and chopped parsley in a bowl, stir in 1/8-1/4 cup e.v.o.o. and mix together thoroughly. Sprinkle crumbs on top of the steaks, place in oven for no longer than five minutes until the crumbs begin to darken.



Here are the steaks fresh out of t he oven! They looked delicious!!!



They tasted pretty good too. I'm not really into spinach, so that flavor was a bit overwhelming to me. I'd never tried eggplant either, and it just so happens that eggplant isn't my favorite vegetable either, though it wasn't too bad. But any of you who love all veggies, this would be a good healthy meal.

7 comments:

-Melissa- said...

I've never tried eggplant. It sounds pretty good. Maybe I will be brave and try the recipe.

The Freds said...

Looks pretty interesting. You're brave

Tiffany said...

I like eggplant, so this looks good!!

Patty said...

I've had eggplant before. It's not too bad. I think I'd rather have a V-8!!

Grammy Staffy said...

I really like egg plant. I usually make it with a red Italian sauce so this would be different. I will try it for sure because we also like spinach.

Thank you my dear.

Is your surgery this coming week? I am sending you my love and best wishes.

Take care.

Me said...

Eggplant is awesome and Tara, these look so yummy! Good work! yummmmmmm!

Anayansi said...

that sounds great. i am going to have to try it.

if you aren't that much into eggplant, you should try eggplant parmesean (sp?). with all of the breading, cheese, and tomato sauce, you don't really taste the eggplant at all. and now that i am thinking of it, i wouldn't exactly call it healthy. oh well. it is good and you should try it.

this year we are doing the vegetarian thing (with a monthly allowance of 1 slip up). it is hard to find good recipes. so i admire your efforts with this dish. i will definitely try it.

good luck with eating healthy!:)